RAPID CREATION OF A NOVEL, INVESTIGATIONAL
COVID-19 DNA VACCINE
INOVIO has demonstrated that DNA medicines can be delivered directly into cells in the body via a proprietary smart device to safely produce a robust immune response in clinical trials involving more than 2,000 patients in 7,000 administrations. The advantages of INOVIO’s DNA medicines platform in a pandemic situation like the world is now facing with COVID-19 are how fast DNA medicines can be designed and manufactured; the stability of the products, which do not require frozen storage and transport; and their robust immune response as well as favorable safety and tolerability profile.
INOVIO IS A LEADER IN CORONAVIRUS DNA
INOVIO scientists are coronavirus experts. INOVIO was the first to advance its DNA vaccine INO-4700 against MERS CoV, a related coronavirus, into evaluation in humans. INOVIO is currently preparing to initiate a Phase 2 vaccine trial for INO-4700 in the Middle East where most MERS viral outbreaks have occurred.
In a recently published paper in Lancet Infectious Diseases, INOVIO’s Phase 1 study of its MERS-CoV vaccine demonstrated it was well tolerated and furthermore induced high levels of antibody responses in roughly 95% of study participants. Durable antibody and T cell immune responses to INO-4700 were also maintained through 60 weeks following dosing.
COLLABORATING TO MEET AN URGENT HEALTH NEED
INOVIO has assembled a global coalition of collaborators, partners and funders to rapidly advance INO-4800:
- R&D collaborators to date include the Wistar Institute, the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Texas, Fudan University and the Laval University.
- INOVIO has partnered with Advaccine and the International Vaccine Institute to advance clinical trials of INO-4800 in China and South Korea, respectively.
- INOVIO is also assessing preclinical efficacy of INO-4800 in several animal challenge models with Public Health England (PHE) and Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) in Australia.
- INOVIO is also working with a team of contract manufacturers including VGXI, Inc., Richter-Helm BioLogics, and Ology Biosciences to produce INO-4800 and seeking additional external funding and partnerships to scale up manufacturing capacities to satisfy the urgent global demand for a safe and effective vaccine.
- To date, the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the U.S. Department of Defense have contributed significant funding to the advancement and manufacturing of INO-4800.